Saturday, September 26, 2009

Belonging to...

Gratitude Journal:
1. Writings of Henri Nouwen and Richard Rohr
2. The Enneagram
3. Honesty that sets FREE - with ones-self and with others!
4. College football
5. Tyler Perry's latest movie -
I CAN BE BAD ALL BY MYSELF... (I identify!)

It is easier to belong to the group than belong to God!


Lord -

Forgive me when I hide in the shadows of 'my group' and do not stand,
much less speak up for justice.
When 'my group' takes presidence over Your love and grace and will

When the power I have could make a difference, but I am scared
I might loose something - it might cost me - I might have to sacrifice
When I like being a white male more than brother to a black or Korean man
When I see men as superior to women
When I listen to a hurtful joke about someones sexuality and do not challenge the offense
When I feel glee because some states move from red to blue or vise versa...
When I expect privilege because of my education,
rather than advocating for support for public schools
When I look for ways to beat 'the system' instead of changing the system to benefit more...
When I anticipate the best seat,
immediate access to my doctor,
bigger returns on my investments,
and never think of those who stand with bowed heads and humble hearts
at the back of the line
or those who walk for days carrying hopelessly ill children
to meet a doctor, who serves in a hut without supplies
or those who break their backs in hard labor in hot sun or on the coldest of days
to make sure that I have enough to eat or that I have all my ' comforts'
in order to live as a 'successful' Middle Class American...

Yes Lord - it is easier for me to 'belong to my group(s)'
than belong to YOU.

Who am I kidding Lord?

Forgive me Lord - forgive...

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment