Saturday, November 21, 2009

Seeing things...

Gratitude -
1. Visits with acquaintances that turn to friendship
2. New wheels!
3. THANKSGIVING - and American tradition...
The gathering of family and friends!
4. My health
5, Early morning quiet time for reflection.

"Where should we look for the Day of Coming? And Jesus answered, Don't look here and don't look there!" Luke 17:23

We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are...


How often do we hear some modern day prophet 'yellin' in our direction and asserting that THEY have the answer. Just listen to them and they will provide all the answers we need to overcome any obstacle.

The older I get the more I realize no one has the answer. We are all on a journey and my experience ALWAYS colors the answers I may profess to have at any given time.

While I agree we should respect those in authority and grant due respect toward our elders, far too many of them are just becoming 'elderly' and have not done enough homework on their own path for me to listen to them for guidance. It is so confusing and unreasonable as to why one should listen to these 'prophets' for any understanding about God or anything else! I am sickened by folks that 'got their religion and all the answers they needed' when they were ten or twelve and their faith stance has not changed one iota since that time long ago. They have the 'formula' and nothing about their walk with God has grown.

I am most frustrated with myself. I am the worlds worst. I catch myself oh so often living as if God's story is over and done. Living as if there is no more movement of God in 'burning bushes' or 'walks on water;, much less as if the 'still small voice' has been stilled and there is nothing left for me to seek or grow toward!

God grant Your mercy and grace this day as I consciously seek to be open to where You are leading and changes in my long held patterns of relating not only to You, but my brothers as well.

Through Christ I pray.
Amen

5 comments:

  1. Life is a journey, for sure. For many, it is a slow train to nowhere and they are happy with that. It is their life. So be it. For others, it is a journey of exploration to experience, grow, and enjoy. A part of that exploration is dialog. Dialog can sometimes light a candle that brightens your path.

    Here is a question for you. Based on your comments above, how do you justify "counseling" if "no one has the answer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bayou Charley... Good question! Let me make a stab at an answer. The best counseling (my idea of best) is not one person 'fixin' another. It is supporting the person as THEY do the work and decide where they want to go. I see the task as an opportunity to provide appropriate questions, suggestions for consideration, and new ideas for the client to turn over inside. As a pastor and as counselor I have worked with folks who chose to stop the process earlier than I would have hoped, but they felt better and had dealt with their impass to whatever degree they needed - therefore they moved on...
    What you might consider an 'answer' for you may or may not be God's answer for my journey. I see counseling as a mid-wife process. Know what is needed, be available, but get out of the way of the actual birth. Your thoughts?
    SHALOM
    JBA

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I have been thinking of this since I read your friend's question--and your answer is along the lines I was thinking. As someone on the "other" side of the counselor, I most appreciate the person who helps me/guides me toward my own truth and solutions. I think of Parker Palmer in this regard (and the Quaker model). The relationship is neither evasive nor invasive. Which is not to say the counselor doesn't have insights and expertise and training. It's just that I wouldn't last long with someone who said, "This is what you need to do."
    Thank you for posting this!
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks A - one of the most difficult things for this 'pastor' to learn was how often it is best to be present to what God is doing in someone else rather than trying to fix them ( I have the answers). It is hard (for me) to keep my mouth shut and listen. ThX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reply, John. I agree with what you said. Just curious how you viewed your journey in light of your new path taken.

    ReplyDelete