Sunday, October 18, 2009

Always living in anticipation...

Gratitude -
1. Peace and quiet
2. Fall Weddings
3. Unexpected 'gifts'...
4. Hugs
5. Farm Town!

Always living in anticipation may mean I miss this moment!

I believe life is gift! We did not do anything, nor can we do anything to deserve it... It just 'is'. However, I find myself living a lot of my life in the great not yet - living in anticipation of what will be. Looking forward to trips or projects or finishing tasks or a visit or maybe even Santa.

While there is nothing inherently wrong or sinful about the excitement of anticipation (or the dread) I wonder what I may overlook and miss out on in this moment by always looking ahead?

"Waiting for Godot" was a play written in the last century. A cast of characters appear on stage with minimal props, but all are waiting - waiting on someone named Godot. Of course, he never arrives. In some ways it is a tragic play because Godot represents GOD. And the story line indicates no matter what ones' hopes or dreams or desires or needs might be, GOD has the tendency to always disappoint because He/She never shows up.

Where is God for you? Is He/She always 'out there' somewhere in the great beyond? Do you live life always waiting? I know that I live way too much of my life in the great not yet... planning, preparing, anticipating, hoping, dreaming, longing, wondering and wandering - not that often arriving!

Lord, what would it take for me to be in this very moment with You? My prayer this day is for clarity in each moment, yet hope - and being alive to reality, yet faith. May I be found giving thanks for what is - not in anxiety regarding what is not yet... Grant that I may accept Your grace and be thankful. May I be thankful for each breath and rejoice.

Through Christ, O Lord
AMEN

1 comment:

  1. This is good, John, as your observations and insights always are. Right now Herb and I are waiting, also! It is his birthday and we expected Melissa and Frank to be here by now, but they just called and said it would be almost two hours before they could be here! Trivial in comparison to waiting for God, but the lesson to me is that people disappoint, but God does not disappoint. He may be on a different time wave, but always He is there for us. The sun is shining and the "extra" time I have this morning gives me time to read and contemplate your journal for today! I think I needed that. Ran

    ReplyDelete