Thursday, October 8, 2009

Private logic...

Gratitude -
1. The human mind
2. The human body
3. The human spirit
4. Stretching in all three!
5. Growth - no matter the age...

When two people are in a similar situation, there are a zillion and one ways they will not see the world precisely the same. That unique perspective is called 'private logic' - a term coined by psychologist Alfred Adler.

Humans are an incredible mixture of gifts. Some hold gifts of intelligence while others have great physical abilities. The older I get the more I respect the 'fathers and mothers' of our world - the ancients, both dead and alive, that still share their wisdom and speak to our spirit.

But with the passing of time I have turned some kind of corner on accepting another person's private view or interpretation of anything as totally sacred. Yes, they might have great insight and understanding. Plaques and diplomas may fill their walls indicating their learnedness. They may have achieved much on the ladder of earthly success and be called 'leader - pastor - CEO - author - president'. Terms like 'charismatic' or 'great' may be used to describe them. Trophies may fill their bookcases and line their walls. Some may call them 'church fathers' or 'saint'. Yet, they only have their own 'private logic' to share... some truth and some fiction. Not one of us captures all truth!

For one reared in the Bible Belt and nurtured in the concept of 'deny yourself' and 'respect all authorities', this is new territory for me. I am growing to appreciate my own private logic and see it valid in discourse and dialogue with others. While I respect all authorities, I also have the right to respectfully disagree with authority. I have the right to my own interpretations. And as long as I remain in a faithful community of brothers and sisters commited to the journey, I will be fine. It is a balance I now seek!

Holy scripture says, "Come let us reason together"

Lord - thank You for my own mind, body and spirit! I give You thanks for those along my path who have nurtured and informed my way. Those who have challenged and encouraged. But forgive me for waiting so long to trust my own core and my own relationship with You. I give thanks that I am still a work in progress and process. Grant that I may continue to trust our journey.

Through Christ, I pray
AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment