Sunday, April 10, 2011

Contemplation... the task of the second half of life!

Gratitude Journal 4-10-11
1. Three days of 'retreat' to Norwood Louisiana
2. Renewing kinship's with Wes, Ryan and Charlie from MROP
3. Talking to trees... and taking in all of creation!
4. The growth of men's spirituality within my own journey.
5. The 'ministry' and 'gift' to my life of Richard Rohr

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength," Isaiah 30:15

It is way past time to 'listen' to God! For so many of us reared in evangelical circles, filled with plans and programs and projects, we have missed so much.

This past weekend (April 1-3) I was blessed to join 127 other men at a rustic retreat center with the purpose of rest and to slow down. It was peaceful and very quiet. We actually heard the birds and saw squirrels and fish stirred the small pond in swift, unexpected movements. The fresh spring green was just beginning to arrive as bright new faces amongst the evergreen. They darted in and out.

We were from 22 different states and a couple of foreign countries. Most did not know one another and our life path will most likely never intersect again. There were a few grand-fathers with their sons and grandsons. One dad was surrounded by his five young adult sons. Many were loners like myself, traveling far to 'get away' and reflect.

So what did I learn? Once again I was touched by grace. I was totally free to be me. I was accepted and affirmed for who I am - warts and all. We tried out contemplation as opportunity to 'be still and know'... Why Lord haven't I embraced this avenue more? Why has it taken so long?

I wish I had encouraged my son to join me for the weekend. It is not too late. There will be other times, I pray. Lord, slowing down is something I will do. Promoting contemplation and healing is a worthy goal but it must begin in me.

May it be so Lord.
SHALOM
J

No comments:

Post a Comment