Sunday, March 27, 2011

$3:00 Worth of God, Please...

Gratitude Journal 3-26-11
1. Rain to wash the pollen away!
2. Spring flowering trees
3. Thank-you notes and words of appreciation
4. Lunch with TMC Buddies
5. Honest people who return lost items...

"And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Spirit. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money." ACTS 8:18-20

I would like to buy $3:00 worth of God, please, not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don't want enough of Him to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant. I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3:00 worth of God, please.

I first read this short reflection about 30 years ago. I was taken aback by the honesty and directness of the author. Through the years I have returned to this little volume numerous times (now out of print). I am thankful that I was blessed to find it! The sincere probing of the soul is refreshing - although not east some times.

Lord, this day may I be open to finding and accepting truth wherever I find it. Let me be honest with You and myself, so that I may be more open, transparent and honest with those around me.

AMEN

($3.00 Worth of God - Wilbur E. Rees - 1971)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, dear john, for this!
    (and with inflation, it might be more like $5 or $6 now!)
    See you tomorrow?
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete