Tuesday, January 19, 2010

He that is without sin...

Gratitude Journal
1. Pastoral Care - thanks Wes and JBO
2. Times of silence and reflection - sometimes even that is hard!
3. Ali's visit - great to see her and family...
4. Hope
5. Growth in awareness and insight into a bigger picture.

Jesus said - he that is without sin, cast the first stone!

Jesus was bent down on the ground writing something in the sand. A group of men had brought a woman caught in adultery to him and wanted him to stand with them in stoning her. However, he said just enough to get the attention of the group and the scripture indicates that 'all the men slipped away'.

Blogging has potential for lots of things. It can be a network for staying in touch. It can be a forum for ideas. It can be a time of reflection and challenge. It should never be used to inflict harm!

While I have used blogging for over a year and my Gratitude Journal for six or seven years to share my reflections, I recently posted a blog that was a personal reflection on a 'bully' situation I had experienced. It was part of my own struggle and my own frustration over a recent encounter with something I believed was harmful not only to me, but to a group of folks I have been committed too for a long time.

I honestly shared how my 'humanity' wanted to go one way, but my faith kept getting in my way and calling for me to take another route. However, by sharing my thoughts my 'feelings' came through more than the actual corrective faith stance. The blog was truthful - from my limited perspective - but it caused pain, sadness and grief.

I do not apologize for whatever 'truth' was there... but it was not my plan to inflict more destruction. Therefore I deleted that particular blog.

While I will continue to write about my journey of faith, I will draft it, sleep on it and send it on the following day.

I did not say that I was without sin. However, the blog appeared to some as if that was my implication. For that misunderstanding I apologize. Like St. Paul of scripture, I am chief amongst sinners.

SHALOM
JBA

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I didn't get that message at all. I read a message from a friend who had experienced a difficult and frustrating situation and was upset. I wanted to respond, but wasn't sure what would be helpful. I started to recommend a book, but it is one that is misunderstood by some, so didn't. What you said may have been good or bad, but was not morally wrong. A good subject for a future conversation.

    We all do, or say things that we have second thoughts about. That is what makes us unique and interesting. How boring we would be if we were perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I didn't get a chance to read the previous one. ... but have no doubt you handled it the best you could. Thanks for your transparency and wrestlings, through these "pages."
    The limitations of the written word--in blogs and otherwise--are frustrating. By that I mean nuance is hard to relay, or the emphasis on certain words; so some might take a way you didn't actually intend.
    Keep up the good work! Will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete