Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year - EMMANUAL (God with us...)!!!

Gratitude -
1. The gift of 'new time'...
2. The gift of remembrance!
3. The gift of family - both immediate and extended.
4. The gift of call - an incomplete journey.
5. Divine, initiated HOPE - the unexpected...

Tabernacles - a space to worship YAHWEH - moved with the Israelites; other gods stayed home!

I am indebted to my friend Wes (as I am for so many recent gifts from the Spirit) for reminding me of God's history with His people!

In the book of Exodus, God's people were instructed to construct a movable structure called the tabernacle. This elaborate tent was a place where God would meet His people as they moved from place to place. It was a constant reminder that the Spirit was always with them.

The tabernacle was therefore a reminder that the Divine Presence was different from other gods of the time.

When ones god is stuck in one time or one place the rules change when one leaves that particular time and place. A person might even say they are now free from their old rules and therefore there are no rules.

If you have ever had any relationship with an addict you know it is when he or she is away from home that trouble begins. His thoughts or her times of quiet reflection do not 'stay within normal boundaries'. It is easier to get into trouble...

Wes recent suggestion that the idea of tabernacle was a gift to God's people. The major contribution was, no matter where you go God was/is there too. He/She is not stuck back at home.

As I enter 2010 - a new gift of time - God may I remember You move with me. I am not alone. I can trust whatever comes my way. I will be surrounded by Your love and Divine Presence. No matter where I journey in this new year, You are there to greet me.

Thank You for this new gift of time and open me to Your will. Grant me a receptive heart to Your Presence on this wonderful path, each step of the way!

What a gift, indeed!

SHALOM
JOHN

3 comments:

  1. One thought to consider. God didn't move with the Israelites, God was already there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true - however, they were (as we are ) a product of their 'time' and back then, with graven images, for many it was a new concept that God would be 'where they were' unless they took the image with them. To meet Him/Her in a tent anywhere was new...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably true. Actually it is true today as people attempt to "fit" God into a form that we are familiar with. It is an interesting concept. I think about fitting God into the form of a human. To what purpose would lungs, feet, gall bladder, be to God? If God has human form and is everywhere, does that mean that "he" is huge, or made of trillions of tiny human bodys. Fitting God into form is a concept I cannot get my head around.

    ReplyDelete