Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Cheer...

Gratitude Journal
1. Decorations of the season
2. Sacred music of the season
3. The use of candles through the season
4. The joy of a child's heart in this season
5. God's continued overcoming of what we have done to the season!

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

I have often heard this verse (particularly the latter portion), used this time of year to provide some safety net for those who both give and receive abundantly. Yet, it might be good for us to read the total verse and reflect.

A thief may be defined in many ways. One who steals what does not belong. One who takes without thought of the pain and heartache of the one who looses some item. This verse goes on to say that the thief not only steals, but also kills and destroys. This really takes things to the next level of severity.

Fortunately I have never been labeled a thief. Nor have I killed or sought to destroy another person. However, in recent times of reflection on the Christian life and my commitment to God's kingdom, I have begun to take more seriously what I have done that is less than pure when it comes to 'a full life'!

When have I really share the abundance I have with another... to the point of sacrifice? When have I killed the spirit of a child? When have I denied the wealth of resources available to me to stop another's pain and suffering? When have I been an advocate for those who are the 'least of these'...? When have I taken a stand that goes against popular cultural norms? When have I risk being misunderstood for the sake of an individual or family that have been marginalized?

As I partake in "Christmas Cheer..." this year, God convict me over and over to have eyes to see and hears to hear and feet to walk and hands to service. In the true love of the Christ child I pray! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment