Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day - and Mother/Father God

Gratitude Journal 5-5-11
1. Reflecting on the 'gifts received' through my own mom!
2. Openness to nurturing relationships found through the feminine
3. Incorporation of those gifts into my own experience and skill-set
4. Seeing motherhood grow in my daughter and daughter-in-law...
they are the greatest!
5. Thanks-giving for my wife and the gift she is to our children and to me!


I will make you into a new creation. I will create in you and in your people the New Jerusalem. But you must let me love you and let me wipe away the tears from your eyes.
Rev 21:4-5

My life journey has allowed me the gift of many 'mothers' along the way. First was my own biological mom. She was with me for over 60 years. Significant teachers played a meaningful role. Next came my wife who has walked beside me for over 44 years. I have been generously blessed to have her as mother of our two children and it is such a joy to share grand-parenthood with her!

My mother-in-law has been an unexpected gift too. In earlier years I never thought about her intersect with my life. Again, such a wonder...

I am most thankful that I have lived long enough to recognize the 'divine feminine' and see God manifest within the special women in my life. How shortsighted it would have been to only see God as masculine. I would have lost so many wonderful opportunities to experience the divine if I had only eyes to see one half of God.

(AND I don't want to limit God to just male/female either. For me, God is manifest throughout all of creation...)

When is the last time you have allowed God to touch you, nurture you, wipe away a tear, hold and comfort you... love you? Most times those are considered feminine traits. We don't often expect men to be nurturing or sensitive or comforting. And when we see men exhibit such traits, we believe it to be unusual.

Yet if we expand our image of the Holy One to be both Mother as well as Father we may experience a deeper richer relationship with the Divine.

This Mother's Day - as you give thanks for the women in your life - don't forget our Creator. Pause and rejoice in the fullness of your God.

SHALOM
J

No comments:

Post a Comment