Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's Mother's Day... and Grandma has returned!

Gratitude Journal -
1. Doctors and nurses and techs who 'care'...
2. The gift of health - too often taken for granted!
3. Chaplains who 'check-in', even by phone
4. A supportive community of faith and at work
5. Young adults who don't 'discount' their elders!!!

(21) And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: (22) And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and Methuselah begat sons and daughters: (23) And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: (24) And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him. (25) And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech: (26) And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters: (27) And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died. Genesis 5:21-27

My mother-in-law - fondly known as "Grandma" - will be 92 on July 1, 2010. Her mother lived to be almost 101. About a month ago Beth (my wife) and I, moved Grandma to Magnolia Manor Assisted Living in Columbus. She had lived with us for over seven years.

Concurrently with her move she became very confused. This past week, following the 'perfect storm' of issues related to a chemical imbalance, she was hospitalized. Each day was more and more serious... until this morning. She experienced night-terrors, painful probes, moments when she did not recognize me or Beth...

When I arrived today, she was wide-awake, smiling, and eating on her own. She even started joking with me and telling one of her long stories to the nurse.

I am grateful for her doctor who cared enough to use her expertise to 'bring Grandma back'. I am very thankful for a host of nurses and others who have monitored and supported and took time to listen to me and Beth with encouragement. We have been blessed once again that God's grace is providing strength and returned hope.

We - Grandma and the rest of us - have been more than blessed by the number of 'days upon the earth' and if she had transitioned into her new existence, we could only stand in awe for a the gift she has been and a life well lived. But it appears that we have some more time.

On this Mother's Day Weekend, I am indeed thankful for my wife and her 'mothering' of our children! But I am also thankful, in the absence of my own mom, that we have been blessed thanks once again to have Grandma return!

Holy Father, like the O.T. writer, may I too look back and be thankful... But my I also count each present moment as gift and not take them for granted!

2 comments:

  1. One of life's greatest gifts is a caring, loving mom. I was fortunate to have one of the best. Unfortunately, some have lousy moms who are horrible people. If you are one of the unfortunate, don't dwell on it, go out and adopt your own. Find one that is as moms should be. Let them know that you've adopted them. You will find that there is enough love to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, so glad she's "back." Very grateful.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete