Sunday, December 13, 2009

What we resist, persists...

Gratitude -
1. The gift of Kathleen Harris for 90 years!
Aunt Katie - may you rest in peace...
2. Bumping into one of my distant Joshua brothers
on line last evening and our time of instant chat!
3. Our decorated Christmas tree (thanks to Beth)
4. Being held...
5. Receiving unexpected Christmas cards

"But what I tell you is this: Do not set yourself against the man who wrongs you..." Matthew Matthew 5:39

Interesting concept - what we resist, persists (RR). It seems I most often judgementally look for evil in others (and myself) in order to fight it, hate it, eliminate it, or (God forbid) project in on some herd of swine - hoping it will fall off some cliff somewhere and I will be rid of it forever.

However Lord,when do I seriously attempt to hold onto the 'evil within me' or even the 'wrong done unto me' and try to learn from it?

Leonard Cohen has a verse in one of his songs that says some thing about trying to be sober, 'but I had to do it drunk'...

When will I too realize that I am addicted too, to so many things and instead of escaping, maybe there is something about those recurring themes that I need to learn. God knows that they persist... I have tried too long to run and hide from my sins, and they kept returning.

I guess I could identify with brother Paul when he says 'the things I want to do I resist, and the things I don't want to do, I do.' Lord I bet Paul listened and learned! Lord, take my heart this day and teach me something I don't already know - about my sin and about your grace.

AMEN



Lord, may I have true eyes to see and ears to hear. Teach me Lord - teach me...

No comments:

Post a Comment